Being constantly on the move, as a digital nomad we need to find ways to be able to continue operating efficiently. Hence, we rely on the digital world for most of our work activities. We digitalize everything, from finding new clients, keeping close communication with our current clients, performing our work duties, and most importantly, charging our clients and getting paid for our services.
The payments we receive for our services are what keep us afloat and let us enjoy the digital nomad lifestyle, so it’s completely understandable that we seek out a reliable and secure way of requesting and receiving payments.
For many years, PayPal has proven itself to be a digital nomad’s best friend. It’s among the top virtual financial options because of its easy and convenient way of sending and receiving money no matter where you are in the world. Another feature that makes it perfect for digital nomads is that it lets you bill your clients without much fuss.
If you’re new to PayPal and still trying to figure out how to send payment requests, here’s a step-by-step guide you can follow so you can start earning and receiving money for all your hard work.
3 different ways to request for payments
PayPal gives you three options to request from your clients. Let’s start with the email payment request.
Sending an email payment request
It’s a straight-forward payment request method which only requires you to have the client’s email address. The client receives a digital payment request via his email which can easily be paid through credit/debit card, bank account transaction, or through PayPal balance if they already have PayPal.
- Log in to your PayPal business account
- Click on the Tools tab and select Request Money
- Enter the client’s email address, click Next
- Provide the amount and currency you are requesting
- It may be optional but you can also add a short note to inform your client of anything substantial
- Click Request Payments
And you’re done. It’s as simple as that. Once the client pays, the money appears on your PayPal business account. Now let’s head to the next PayPal payment request method. The email payment request may be quick and easy but it doesn’t give off the same professional vibe as PayPal invoicing.
Sending a PayPal invoice
PayPal invoice is a free PayPal tool that allows you to automate your invoicing process. It’s ideal to use when you want a more professional look to your invoice. It lets you provide item details, automatically computes the tax and discounts for you, and manages your invoices and payments. The invoice also displays your details such as customized contact information and terms of payment.
- Log in to your PayPal account
- Click on the Tools tab and select Invoicing
- Customize your invoice by entering your details, and uploading your company logo
- Click Create Invoice
- Fill up the necessary details such as invoice number, the currency of your choosing, nature of service provided or item name, invoice date, the quantity of the item or of the service you provided and cost of the item or service. You also have the option to write your client a note of anything you think is substantial regarding the service or item
- Click on the Preview button to review everything
- When you’re satisfied, hit the Send button
Again, it’s a hassle-free way of sending payment requests. The third method is a relatively new concept of PayPal but it’s just as effective as the other two. It involves creating a PayPal.Me link and sending the link to your clients.
Sending a PayPal.Me link
The new PayPal.Me is a simplified version of the other two previously mentioned methods. While it may not offer the professional flair you can get from invoicing and email request payment, it is, however, the quickest way to remind your client about their bills.
- Go to PayPal.Me and click on GetPayPal.Me For Business Now
- Come up with a unique business URL. If the name is still available, you can use your business name
- Click Next and log in to your PayPal business account
- Customize your PayPal.Me link by uploading a logo or photo and writing a brief business description
- Preview your PayPal.Me by clicking on the customer’s view
- When requesting for payment, just copy paste your PayPal.Me link, add the amount you’re requesting at the end of the link
- If you don’t specify the currency of your choice, the link displays the currency you have in your settings. To change the currency, simply type the currency you want right after the amount requested
- Send the link
The best perk of sharing your PayPal.Me link is that you can literally send in your request just by a few clicks. It’s shareable via any social media, SMS, or email so you can pretty much share it anywhere.
You already put a lot of time and work on the items or services you provide so you can keep up the digital nomad lifestyle. Billing your clients doesn’t have to feel like an additional chore. Luckily, virtual financial options such as PayPal provide people with the ease and convenience of sending payment requests so you can focus on your job and head out on a new adventure each day.